PROTECTION OF RIGHTS UNDER RUSSIAN CIVIL LAW IN A COMPARATIVE CONTEXT
The article analyzes the new rules securing the protection of rights introduced in the Russian Civil Code. New enforcement provisions in the Code will contribute to the stability and sustainability of business transactions in the market economy and the observance of contractual discipline. They aim at ensuring the most complete restoration of violated civil rights and restoring the situation that existed before the violation. Positive changes appear in Article 395 of the Code, including penalties prescribing interest payments on unpaid funds for nonperformance of a monetary obligation. The changes to this article have already been tested in practice, as found in a number of interpretations announced in the decisions of higher courts of the judiciary. Yet, an analysis of the Code reveals the absence of any form of penalty in the chapters on the individual types of obligations. Furthermore, a forfeiture occurs only in certain circumstances where it is required due to the nature of the legal relations, as under, for example, transport charters and codes, and laws on the supply of goods for state requirements.
About the AuthorD. Karkhalev
Karkhalev Denis (Ufa, Russia) - Professor of Civil Law
(Krasin Street, 15-69, 450076, Russia, Bashkortostan, Ufa)
1. Burdick Francis М. The LawofTorts 543-579 (BeardBooks, Washington D.C. 2000) (1905).
2. Burrows A. Understanding the Law ofObligations 201-240 (Oxford Hart Publishing 1998).
3. Cane P. The Anatomy of Tort Law (Oxford Hart Publishing 1997);
4. McCormick C.T. Handbook on the Law of Damages 135 (St. Paul, Minn West Publishing Co. 1935).
5. Miller C.J., Lovell P.A. Product Liability (Butterworth, London 1977).
6. Sir Basil Markesinis, QC & Hannis Unberath, The German Law ofTorts: A Comparative Treatise (4th Ed., Hart Publishing 2002).
7. Treitel G.H. Remedies for Breach of Contract. A Comparative Account (Oxford University Press 1988).
8. Хохлов В.А. Ответственность за пользование чужими денежными средства¬ми, 8 Хозяйство и право (1996) [Hohlov V.A. Otvetstvennost'za pol'zovanie chuzhimi denezhnymisredstvami, 8 Hozjajstvo i pravo (1996) [Khokhlov V.A. Responsibility for the use of borrowed cash, 8 Economy and law (1996)].
9. Цвайгерт К., Кётц Х. Введение в сравнительное правоведение в сфере част¬ного права. Том 2 [Tsvaigert K., Ketc H. Vvedenie vsravnitelnoepravovedenie vsfere chastnogo prava. Tom 2 [Zweigert K., Katz H. Introduction to comparative law in the field of private law. Volume 2]] (Moscow 2000).
For citation: Karkhalev D. PROTECTION OF RIGHTS UNDER RUSSIAN CIVIL LAW IN A COMPARATIVE CONTEXT. BRICS Law Journal. 2016;3(1):126-137. https://doi.org/10.21684/2412-2343-2016-3-1-126-137
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.